Queen Bee

Queen Bee

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"Wasn't I A Good Mother?!" (True Story)

I use a wonderful (free) site called Cozi.  I have been a member for three years and it has been one of the best discoveries I've made online.  I can make a grocery list or to-do list and send it straight to my phone when I go to the store.  There are many more features but what I love most is that I can journal my day so I don't lose any memories I've had with the kids, my friends and family members.  We all have had a funny or endearing moment that we want to remember forever and Cozi is such a great place to store those memories and the best part is, you won't ever lose the paper you wrote it on!!  It's all online!   Here is a recent entry taken from my journal.  It really happened exactly as written.  Tell me...should I be worried?

Monday, September 6, 2010
Today is Labor Day and the kids had the day off from school.  Nolan wanted to play a game so he selected Monopoly.  He didn't want to play regular 'ole Monopoly, however.  We were going to play using some Littlest Pet Shop figures instead of the traditional game pieces. 

Asya was kicking everybody's booty by buying up property after property.  She had 8 or 9 by the time we'd gone around 3 times!! She was banker so I began to wonder if she was skimming off the top...

Nolan, aka Mr. Krabs, was being VERY conservative with his money. He'd buy property here and there but wouldn't break the $500 bill for anything!!

Jake was also buying as much property as he was able to AND got to collect $50 from everyone when he landed on Chance, which made him very happy!


I bought a few properties myself and was completely broke by then and couldn't pay him the $50.  On top of it all, I had just landed on one of his properties which was $18 in rent.  Here's our conversation:

Jake: "Ok, Mom. You own me a total of $68." (sticks his hand out)
Me: "I can't, I'm out of money until I go around again."
Jake: "Oooh, Mom! You're on debt!"
Me: "Actually, I'm IN debt."
Jake: "I see you have money there." (spying over the board at my very small pile of cash)
Asya: "Jake! It's only $8!!"
Jake: "She owes $68, so if she gives me the $8 she'll only have to owe me $60."
Me: "I STILL HAVE TO EAT!"
Nolan: "I'll pay it for you."
Asya: "No, I'll pay it."
Me: "No, thanks guys, but I'll pay it when I go around again."  (Giving him the 'mom eye')
Jake: "I'm just trying to keep you out of jail!...(sigh) I'll go get a paper to write down your debt."
Me: "I'm just a poor widow who needs to eat!"
Jake: "Look, If you give me your $8, I'll be helping you make your debt go down. That way you can eat sooner."
Me: "Jake, can't you just wait until I go around again and get the $200?"
Jake: "Ok...but I'm just trying to keep you from going to jail!"
Me: "Since when do I have to go to jail for having debt in Monopoly?!!!"
Jake: "I'm pretty sure you will have to."
Nolan: (freaked out by now) "Here, I'm going to pay it! Take it, Mom!" (He obviously cares about his poor mom going to jail!)
Me: "No, Nolan, keep your money. I'll just be in debt for a little while."
(Jake gets up and gets a paper to write down my debt...we keep playing.  Asya lands on Free Parking, wins $230 in the pot.)
Asya: "Here Jake, here's your $68. Mom's now free from debt."
Jake: "Thank you. Mom, you're free. No jail."
Me: "Thanks, Asya. I'll pay you back. (Peering at Jake) So glad I don't have to go to jail, son."
(Jake smiles, completely unaware that I was being sarcastic)
Asya: "No, I want to do that for you. And here (puts the rest of the money in a pile by me) This is your emergency fund. Take from it when you need to."
Me: "Aw, thanks, honey!! You can take from it too if you need it!"
Asya: (shrugging) "Ok."

We continue playing and Asya wipes us all out. 

4 comments:

  1. Sorry, Tamie! I have to go with Jake on this one. I am a Cut Throat Business woman myself and I know where he's coming from.LOL It may have something to do with my having a real mother who mismanages money on a regular basis!! She expects all 4 of her kids to pitch in and DIG her out of her MISTAKES ALL THE TIME! Your situation was a little different, but I totally internalized it to the core!!! Especially, when Asya jumped to the rescue, I lost it!! My mother expects me to dip into my savings or take food out of my 3 babies mouth, in order for HER to get stuff paid. ( Her problem is Spending on frivolous things and not prioritizing!! Sorry I've rambled, you just got me sucked right in, girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sucking people right in, Anonymous! Well, my kids are only 9, 11 & 13! It would be hard to live off their $3 piggy banks! Sorry you're going through rough times with bailing out your mom. This game of Monopoly was simply pure fun (and thankfully Jacob didn't send my butt to jail). I should post more exerpts from our journal. Forget Reality TV!! They should train cameras on my kids! A riot a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol wow a hard core monopoly player lol id love to read more of your journal, im debbie, bzz-agent also lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie, thanks for your comment :) I've been thinking of which journal entry to post. Have you tried Cozi yet? It's awesome!

    --Queen Bee

    ReplyDelete